carpediem

carpediem

Wednesday 27 June 2018

Montenegro, part I - Kotor (i): Bay of Kotor

The view from my hostel




I arrived at Kotor at around 18:30, which was about half an hour later than the schedule had promised, but half an hour wasn't too bad. It was already dark when I arrived, but thankfully the hostel was located 5 mins walk from the AS (which was one of the many reasons I chose it, the others being the fact that it had a 9.7 rating and was right next to the water, and the fact that it was 5 euro a night), and I found it easily, and checked in. I asked the owner for recommendations on good food nearby, and he suggested a place which .... I can't myself recommend in good faith. The portion was gigantic and extremely hearty - I was only able to eat about half - but it was something that guys would like, I suppose - party food, with a giant (and sightly dry) slab of grilled chicken, coleslaw, and loads of chips. Very British food actually, now I come to think of it.


The place looked like a butcher's shop


Hostel rulebook

Hostel coffee

Went to the local supermarket to get some stuff to drink, after that hearty and salty meal.



Anyway I can't believe I'm going on about the food now, because I'm supposed to be talking about how beautiful Kotor was. I'd come here with high expectations anyway because it looked absolutely marvellous on google images, and one or two acquaintances had been here recently and couldn't stop raving about it. I woke up on my first morning in MNE and walked downstairs and looked out of the French doors, and pushed open the door and felt the crisp winter air on my face and saw the pristine, magnificent Bay of Kotor before me, and the only word I can find for that sensation was - cleansing. It felt as if my soul was being cleansed, of wear and tear, of broken expectations, and of toil and trouble. I went down to the water and stood there for quite a long time, drinking in the cold air and the biting sensation of the winter breeze upon my face, I gazed upon the dark karst mountains (hence the name, 'Montenegro'), and everything felt right.

The view from the front door of my hostel




There was that crisp, early-morning coldness to the landscape that I revelled in















No comments:

Post a Comment