carpediem

carpediem

Tuesday 26 June 2018

Croatia, part XIII- The bus ride from Split to Dubrovnik



This needs to go in a separate entry because the route from Split to Dubrovnik was mainly through steep coastal highways, and the scenery was magnificent. I've said it before and I'll say it again, few things make me feel so alive as rushing through unknown European terrain at the crack of dawn. I munched on some peach-flavoured Haribos and watched the rugged karst coast and deep, clear turquoise waters of the Adriatic fall beneath me, and tried to get good pictures, but it just wasn't the same, of course.

If you open Google Maps, you'll see that the borders of the southern coastal part of Croatia is particularly weird - to get to Dubrovnik from Split or Makarska, for instance, you have to actually pass through Bosnia, through a town called Neum that is solely known for the fact that it is home to Bosnia's 20km of coastline. Here's a pretty good description of that region from wikipedia:

The Bosnia and Herzegovina coastal strip of Neum cuts off the southernmost Croatian territory from the rest of Croatia. This is a result of the Treaty of Karlowitz of 1699. With its admission to the European Union, Croatia had to apply EU regulations at its border crossings, including the passage through the Neum section. [...] It is the only town to be situated along Bosnia and Herzegovina's 20 km (12 mi) of coastline, making it the country's only access to the Adriatic Sea. (source)

I was excited because this was my first time on Bosnian soil, and during a coffee/toilet break in Neum, I paused to get some coffee, Bosnian coffee. Thankfully they accepted Croatian currency, because I didn't have any marks on me yet.

My very first cup of Bosnian coffee

Bosnian baklava
And that's my bus

More to come..


















No comments:

Post a Comment